The mandate for the Australian Catholic Youth Council was approved by the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference at its Plenary Meeting in May 2007.
Areas of Responsibility:
Advise the Bishops Commission for Pastoral Life on:
- Listening and responding to the voice of Australia’s young Catholics on:
- Religious, spiritual, ethical, moral and social justice issues of concern to them;
- Their needs in relation to the development of their Catholic faith and deepening of their personal Catholic spirituality; and
- Their full participation and inclusion in the life and mission of the Catholic Church in Australia;
- Planning, promoting and advocating structures, processes, policies and guidelines that will:
- Enable this faith and spiritual development;
- Enable this full participation and inclusion in the Church;
- Ensure that the benefits and experience of World Youth Day 2008 for young people, and its rejuvenating effects on the Catholic Church in Australia generally, are continued into the future; and
- Evangelising young people in the Australian community
Number of Members:
The Council will be comprised of up to twelve selected councillors, together with ex-officio members, the Bishops’ Delegate for Youth and the Executive Secretary of the Bishops Commission for Pastoral Life as.
Appointment of Members:
Councillors will be appointed for a three (3) year term, on recommendation of the Bishops Commission for Pastoral Life. Councillors can be re-appointed for two subsequent terms.
Appointment of Chairperson:
The Chairperson will be appointed for a three (3) year term by the Bishops Commission for Pastoral Life.
Frequency and Place of Meetings:
The Council will develop and advise the Bishops Commission for Pastoral Life of an appropriate annual meeting and teleconference schedule for Council.
The Executive Secretary of the Bishops Commission for Pastoral Life will provide administrative support to the Council.